Canyon Country & Peaks, Plateaus and Canyons Calendars are available now!


Delicate Arch

Arches National Park - Like Nowhere Else on Earth

Corona Arch

Moab Utah - Surprises Around Every Corner

Comb Ridge

Cedar Mesa - Feel the Wildness

The Great Gallery in Horseshoe Canyon


The Maze

The Maze is the wildest and least accessible district of Canyonlands National Park. Exploring here requires a greater degree of self-sufficiency because of the remote location, difficult roads, and primitive trails. Be fully prepared with supplies, water, and gear for self-rescue. If you really want to get away from it all, the Maze will grant your wish. Plan your visit carefully.

Plan Your Visit

Maps and Directions

The Hans Flat Ranger Station in the Maze is a 2.5-hour drive from Green River, Utah. From I-70, take Utah Highway 24 south for 24 miles. A left hand turn just beyond the turnoff to Goblin Valley State Park will take you along a two-wheel-drive dirt road 46 miles (76 km) southeast to the ranger station.

From the ranger station, the canyons of the Maze are another 3 to 6 hours by high-clearance, 4WD (more if traveling by foot). Another four-wheel-drive road leads into the Maze north from Highway 95 near Hite Marina (driving time is 3+ hours to the park boundary). A high-clearance, low range, four-wheel-drive vehicle is required for all Maze backcountry roads.

Park hours: The Maze District is open 24 hours a day, year-round.

Hans Flat Ranger Station: Open 8 am to 4:30 pm daily. There is a small sales area with books and maps.

Entrance fee: $30/private vehicle; good for 7 days (subject to change). Click for additional information about fees.

Things to Know

Can I ride my ATV/UTV in The Maze District? ATVs, UTVs and OHVs are not permitted in the park. Motorbikes must be highway-legal.

Can I get gas in the park?  There is no food, gas, lodging or potable water in the Maze District. The nearest amenities are in the towns of Hanksville (20 miles (32 km)) or Green River (37 miles (59.5 km)) from the intersection of UT route 24 and the road into the Maze.

Will my cell phone work in Maze?  Cell phone coverage is poor to nonexistent throughout Canyonlands.

Can I take my pet? Pets are not allowed on hiking trails or on four-wheel-drive roads, even in a vehicle.

Safety: This is a very remote area. Make sure you are prepared with all the gear, food and water that you may need—there is no potable water in the Maze. Make sure you take the proper equipment and gear for self-rescue.

Help protect the park: Every Step Counts!Help us protect the dark lumpy biological soil crusts during your visit. Please walk only on trails, rock or in sandy washes (where water flows when it rains), and keep all vehicles and bikes on designated roads.

Things to Do

Hans Flat Ranger Station:  The Hans Flat Ranger Station is open year-round from 8 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. There is a small sales area with books and maps. There are no services, food, gas, or potable water sources in the Maze District. There are several reliable springs in the canyons of the Maze. Inquire at the Ranger Station for more information.

Interpretive Programs: Rangers offer guided hikes in Horseshoe Canyon most weekends during spring and fall.

Hiking:  Trails in the Maze are primitive. Many canyons look alike and are difficult to identify without a topographic map. Trails lead into canyons and to various viewpoints and access can be difficult. The Maze Overlook Trail and other routes in the district require basic climbing maneuvers in order to negotiate sections of steep slickrock and pour-offs. A 25-foot length of rope is often essential for raising or lowering packs in difficult spots. Many routes may make hikers with a fear of heights uncomfortable.

Backcountry camping: Backpackers stay in at-large zones. Backcountry vehicle, campers and mountain bikers must stay in designated sites and must provide their own toilet systems. Wood fires are prohibited. All overnight trips require a permit, which may be reserved in advance online.

Four-wheel-drive-roads: Four-wheel-drive roads in the Maze are extremely difficult, present considerable risk of vehicle damage, and should not be attempted by inexperienced drivers. A high-clearance, four-wheel-drive vehicle is required for all Maze backcountry roads. The most commonly used road in the Maze is the Flint Trail, which traverses slopes of clay that are extremely slippery when wet. The Flint Trail is often closed during winter. Click for more about driving in the Maze here.

The road between Teapot Rock camp and the Land of Standing Rocks is the worst in the Maze. Four-wheel drivers should be prepared to make basic road or vehicle repairs and should carry the following items: at least one full-size spare tire, extra gas, extra water, a shovel, a high-lift jack and, from October to April, chains for all four tires.

For more information about the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park, visit the official website.

Things You Might Need